Annual Awards 2017
Banking Ombudsman vote Standard Bank as the best in Dispute Resolution
The Ombudsman for Banking Services held its annual awards evening last week. It is a long-standing tradition of the Ombudsman’s office to celebrate excellent service and performance in the banking industry, insofar as the banks co-operation with the Ombudsman’s office in resolving consumer disputes.
This year, for the first time in 10 years, Standard Bank walked away with the award for the best amongst the big 5 banks, which includes ABSA, FNB, Nedbank and Capitec. Their dispute resolution department were well represented at the prestigious awards function and they were elated. The criteria used to rate each of the 5878 cases that the Ombud resolved thus far this year, are
- Quality of the written response to the complain
- The response time, and
- The overall fairness of the response
Investec Limited was the winner in the category of smaller banks, and they are also a second-time winner.
In addition to the award for excellence for the banks, the Banking Ombudsman also present awards to individual staff members of the banks, who impressed with their consisted excellent service. In this category, the criteria set a high standard, namely:
- Treating all complainants with equal dignity and respect and afford all complaints the necessary level of attention;
- Providing prompt and efficient service to complainants and the OBS;
- Initiate and/or improve measures and or service level agreements to enhance his/her bank’s level of service in complaints handling; and
- The individual must be knowledgeable about his/her bank’s products, services and processes, including internal complaints handling mechanisms as well as those of the OBS.
The winners were Gabriel Vilar Da Mota of ABSA and Tarryn Reddy from African Bank.
For the first time in the history of the annual awards, the Ombudsman also acknowledged excellent service from one of the staff members. Cylvia Tladi, an administrative assistant who has been with the office for 6 years, and previously worked in banking industry, was the recipient.